Route Details as follows… (Best looked at in conjuction with a topo map)
From Whatipu Car park. Walked towards the beach, follow signs to Omanawanui Track and then a reasonably steep climb up to the first (lower) peak along Omanawanui Track, then a descent and a steep climb up to the second peak. We descend for a second time before meeting a gradual incline up to the junction of Whatipu Road. Cross the road.
After crossing the road, continue along track till the junction of Puriri Ridge track and Kura track. Turn left down Kura track which descends somewhat steeply then flattens out before the first stream crossing. There are 4 stream crossings in total. From there, it is a relatively flat path (with a few fallen trees to climb over) back to Whatipu Road.
Once at Whatipu Road, cross over the Road bridge and you should be back at Whatipu Car Park.
- At Whatipu Car park, there are Two toilets and an information board.
- Road to Whatipu (after Little Huia) is narrow, unsealed and very windy, take extra care driving around the corners as there is often plenty of traffic coming in the opposite direction
- Fishery officers are sometimes seen in the area and along the Whatipu coast.
- Time taken to do this track. About 3¾ hours at a leisurely pace with about an hour total stopping time (including Lunch, Afternoon Tea and a few short toilet / drink stops). If done at a moderate pace, with shorter stops, can do this in about 3-3¼ hours.
- Distance about 6-7 km (if you exclude spur to ‘Wing Head’)