Welcome / Nau Mai,
The domain wairua.nz was registered in early 2016 for personal private use and is currently without a public facing website.
Wairua is the spirit of a person. Wairua can leave the body and go wandering. When a person dies it is their wairua which lives on. Traditionally Māori believed that when they died they would go to rarohenga (the underworld). In northern traditions, this involved travelling te ara wairua (the pathway of spirits) to te rerenga wairua (the leaping place of spirits). Wairua would then descend to the sea.
Other resources and links on the Internet covering the concepts of Wairua…
- “Wairua” Music Video from Maimoa / Pukana (same group who performed “Maimoatia”), released May 2017 and Article regarding the background of the song on the Maori Television Website
- Maori Dictionary Definition for “Wairua” with a detailed and in-depth description of the concepts of Wairua
- Article at Te Ara, Encyclopedia of New Zealand
- “Wairua” Television series – screened on Maori Televison.
- Spiritual Concepts of Maori – Victoria University, New Zealand Electronic Text Collection